Pediatric gastroenterology developed as a sub-specialty of pediatrics and gastroenterology. It is concerned with treating the gastrointestinal tract, liver and pancreas of children from infancy until age eighteen. The principle diseases it is concerned with are acute diarrhea, persistent vomiting, gastritis, and problems with the development of the gastric tract.
The muscles of the digestive tract and waste disposal system of the human body gradually develop over time, and can experience malfunctions and minor disorders while they are still underdeveloped, as is the case in children. Reflux, indigestion, and diarrhea are common symptoms that manifest in young people who are afflicted with a more serious gastrointestinal disease.
Children are not able to answer medical question as efficiently as grown-ups can so at Zeus we take special care for these sensitive tendencies and for this we have a dedicated team of pediatric gastroenterologists who know how to examine and treat children in a way that makes them relaxed and cooperative. Our exclusive services are in following areas:
- Bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract
- Lactose intolerance
- Food allergies or intolerances
- Severe or complicated gastroesophageal reflux disease (reflux or GERD)
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Short bowel syndrome
- Liver disease
- Acute or chronic abdominal pain
- Chronic constipation
- Chronic or severe diarrhea
- Pancreatic insufficiency (including cystic fibrosis) and pancreatitis
- Nutritional problems (including malnutrition, failure to thrive, and obesity)
- Feeding disorders